There may be times in the lifespan of your business when you identify a shortfall in manpower or expertise. One of the best ways to address such a problem is to head down the road of IT staff augmentation.
In the modern commercial landscape, lost time equates to lost money. Companies simply cannot afford to lag behind their rivals for any reason. This is a fast-moving landscape, and IT outsourcing is an excellent way of ensuring that your business maintains the pace required to be competitive.
IT staff augmentation is an excellent way of ensuring that additional resources in both manpower and specialization can be added to your existing staff quickly and easily so that business performance is not affected.
What is IT Staff Augmentation?
The outsourcing of technological requirements is a common tactic to ensure business continuity and progress at a time of innovation or digital transformation. IT staff augmentation is a specific strand of outsourcing strategy that involves adding volume or knowledge to your team to cope with a particular demand within your organization.
It involves bringing contractual staff, either individuals or representatives supplied by a software outsourcing company, into an organization in response to a shortage of skills that may be temporary or longer term.
The new arrivals are embedded in your existing team to add their software engineering expertise for as long as it is needed.
How do you know if you are in need of IT staff augmentation?
All businesses rely on a smooth and harmonious process to deliver their products. They recruit the personnel needed to cover all areas of their operations, including their software managed services.
The simplest way of recognizing that you are in need of IT staff augmentation is to listen to your people, and to monitor the output of the business.
If it becomes clear that there is a particular technological pinch point that is impacting the smooth operation of your software managed services, your business will need to act.
Internal communication is a key requisite of any organization, and the sooner it is realized that there is a shortfall of manpower or expertise, the quicker an IT outsourcing solution can be sourced and applied.
Another instance in which IT staff augmentation is required arises when a particular project requires a level of expertise that is not contained within the existing team.
It could also be that you have signed a new client who wants a service delivered that relies on software engineering at a time when your existing staff are working at full capacity.
Benefits of IT staff augmentation
Bringing in additional resources to bolster your existing personnel is an extremely useful and valuable step. Taking a flexible outsourcing approach can bring considerable benefits to any business. They include:
- IT staff augmentation should be cheaper than the cost of hiring an individual or a team on a full-time basis.
- You pay only for the time worked by the people brought into your team on a temporary basis.
- The responsibility for recruiting and training suitable software engineering experts is taken by the company supplying the contractors.
- Software development outsourcing cuts down considerably on the time it would otherwise take to identify and on-board the right talent – and the time taken for them to learn all about the company and achieve maximum productivity.
- You remain in charge of the project and workflow. The company supplying the extra resource should not expect to play a strategic role; its representatives are in place to service your business goals, not theirs.
- Modern digital technology ensures that your extra manpower can work remotely in most instances. You should not have to worry about providing office space, licenses or the right tools for the task at hand. The right qualified software engineering professionals can be available to work with you, wherever in the world they are located.
Types of IT Staff Augmentation
So where can you find the right people to give your business the instant boost it requires when the need arises? There are various types of agencies that offer such services. In the context of software development outsourcing, it is likely that you will need the assistance of a proven and trusted provider, like ZirconTech, that specializes in delivering software engineering capabilities.
In a general context, staff augmentation can be a way of increasing capacity and workflow to meet a temporary spike in demand, or a quick way of maintaining output while you on-board a permanent specialist team.
When it comes to IT staff augmentation, however, the need is to bolster your in-house team with specialized skills to maintain the pace of development and satisfy customer demand.
This must be the ultimate aim, to achieve the goals set by the business. IT staff augmentation brings with it the benefit of maintaining delivery while saving time, effort, and resources.
At ZirconTech, we have extensive experience in the provision of IT outsourcing services so that the businesses we serve can focus exclusively on their strategic and developmental needs.